Veritas Steel in Wausau, WI is currently looking for a Quality Control Inspector for our 2nd Shift. The QC Inspector will be responsible to support production for the safe, accurate and efficient creation of customer’s products. Plans, directs, coordinates, monitors, and executes activities related to ensuring the quality of all work and products in the facility. Operates with a sense of urgency and purpose to ensure that work is completed according to established quality standards, applicable specifications, and regulatory requirements.
- Actively participates in the safety program for the facility.
- Observes, reports and corrects behaviors that are unsafe.
- Works with the facility leadership to ensure a safe working environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with Production Management and Project Management to ensure appropriate quality procedures are complied with and accurate documentation is maintained on every project.
- Facilitates improvements in the fabrication process that results in higher quality, reduced rework, less waste and fewer mistakes. Actively participates in the continuous improvement effort of the fabrication process and quality management system.
- Actively participates in the fabrication process to be a resource to fabricators, leads, supervisors and management on quality issues. Assists shop employees with questions and clarifications on quality issues as needed
- Perform necessary hold point inspections and assigned NDT activities to ensure the products meet expectations. These include, but are not limited to, inspection of base metals, subcontracted products, weldments, surface preparation and coatings to check conformance to national standards, codes, project specifications and owner’s requirements.
- Actively participates in all team meetings, toolbox talks and the safety program.
- Communicates with team members regularly, seeks input on problem solving issues and clarifies responsibilities and expected results.
- Maintains a professional working relationship with DOT representatives. Works with DOT representatives as instructed by management to schedule required inspections and ensure that appropriate documentation is completed and filed in a timely manner.
- Reporting and Measures of Performance
- On time inspections and reports all inspections.
- Active participation in required meetings and department activities
- Number of facility and customer level incidents
- On-time turnover documentation, notes and reports
- Goals will be agreed upon and provided annually
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Current, valid certification as one or more of the following:
- AWS CWI or SCWI
- SSPC BCI Level I or II
- NACE CIP Level I, II or III (NACE Bridge Course a plus )
- Magnetic Particle Testing Level II, Yoke method, dry visible powder technique
- Proficiency using related inspection instruments, tape measures (standard and metric), basic survey equipment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, & Outlook)
- Committed to varied work schedule, including weekends
Educational and Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience in structural steel fabrication and inspection, bridge experience a plus
- Experience supporting fabrication operations
- Reports directly to the Quality Manager of the facility and/or Shift Production Manager
- Works closely with all members of the production team to ensure the safe, accurate and efficient creation of customer’s products.
- Works with state representatives as instructed by management.